Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2018

Drink, Slay, Love (Lifetime 2017)

Drink, Slay, Love is an adaptation from a YA novel of the same name written by Sarah Beth Durst. I read the book a while back so when I saw they were making a movie I kept an eye out. It wasn't the best book ever but it was a quick and fun read so I knew that the movie would be right up my alley too. I like YA books and movies and I'm even okay with middle grade ones too if they have a good story line. I really prefer not to discriminate by age for my entertainment.

The movie stars Cierra Ramirez, Zac Peladeau, Gregg Sulkin and McKaley Miller. Most of them I had not seen much from but you might recognize Gregg Sulkin as he has been in a few things recently including the TV series 'Faking It'. Bella Thorne is also an 
executive producer.





Pearl (Cierra Ramierz) is a teenage vampire from a well respected vampire family. They live apart from humans and have their own night community. Pearl is a perfectly happy being an evil vampire and is pretty good at it.

One night while out hunting alone she is attacked; when she wakes up the next day she is mysteriously able to withstand sunlight. Pearl's vampire family soon find a way to use this new ability to their advantage. They have an important event coming up and need a fresh blood supply. Pearl's new ability gives her access to the daylight world like they have never had before.




So they send her to high school with a mission to infiltrate the community. 
Unfortunately what seems like an easy assignment soon becomes more difficult when Pearl starts to experience feelings and make friends. But she is a vampire first - she can't let her family down.

I was surprised when I saw that this was going to be made by Lifetime. As soon as I saw that I knew some of the special effects would not be possible. They would be working with a TV movie budget.

The main thing that I was wondering was how they were going to tackle the unicorn factor. The book is slightly tongue-in-cheek and as such it has shape-shifting unicorns. The short answer is they don't. So if you were expecting unicorns prepare to be disappointed. Without revealing too much, I think how the movie got around it was well done and worked out fine for the story line.

There were some other obvious budget constraints that I noticed. Some of the costumes looked very basic and not particularly well done. I think that they could have done a whole lot better in that department. It reminded me of something from the 80's; especially the armor that they had for the hunters. It was like it was all cobbled together from sports uniforms and knee pads. They are supposed to be these accomplished hunters but they just looked like a joke.

The acting was not the best but many of the cast seemed pretty new to it so we can give them a pass. The girls were pretty and the boys were cute so really for a YA movie that is mostly what it's all about these days. I found a lot of the vampire stuff to be very over the top but it would probably play better with younger audiences. I'm not exactly in their target age group for this type of movie.



Overall it's one of those movies that the average kid will love and probably wouldn't notice the inconsistencies and other issues. The basic story line is there and while there might be some things that are not explained it's not too bad. It has a beginning, middle and end so that's the main thing (and I've watched a few Lifetime ones that don't have an ending so it's not always a given).

The movie has a bit of french kissing in it and some mid-level violence.

Final Score 7/10 watch if you like YA paranormal stuff or if you don't mind some silly fun.

IMDB link to Drink, Slay, Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment