My Secret Valentine is a recent Hallmark movie from the slew of Valentine movies that air around February. It stars Lacey Chabert and Andrew Walker. I'm a sucker for both these actors so of course I had to check this one out.Chloe (Lacey Chabert) is General Manager at a successful restaurant in the city. She realizes that she has gone as far as she can in her current job and will either have to keep going with the status quo or make some changes. She heads back to her family's winery for a week to do some serious thinking about her future and to hear some news her father has been wanting to tell her.
Unfortunately her father is thinking about selling the winery and already has a buyer interested. Enter smooth-talking sales guy Seth (Andrew Walker) who has promised his bosses he can make the sale in 3 days. The two obviously don't get along and the proverbial sparks fly.
Meanwhile Chloe is also renting out her late mothers cabin and enters into a 'pen-pal' relationship with the occupant whom she has never met. He helps out by fixing some things around the cabin and calls himself 'Handyman' she replies under the name 'In need of repairs' and is soon asking him for advice on dealing with annoying co-workers. I think you can all see where this is going.
The plot is pretty standard for a Hallmark movie; there were not any surprises and the couple were mildly engaging. I feel like it was an okay movie but it was nothing special. I was kind of hoping for a bit more. I like these two actors so I would have liked to see them in something a bit more original. This was very reminiscent of movies like You've Got Mail and all the other adaptations of that kind of 'pen-pal' relationship.
The scenery was really nice, the costumes were good and everything was actually nicely done. For me it just doesn't stand out in a crowd of so many other Hallmark movies. We know that Hallmark can make nice movies but I guess what really makes one stand out for me is if it has something a little bit original or different that sets it apart from the pack. I would probably only give this a five out of ten but I'm giving it an extra point for Lacey and Andrew.
There was some drinking in the movie as they were at a winery. Also some mild affection and a bit of chaste french kissing.
Final Score - 6/10 watch it if you like Hallmark movies as you already know what you are getting yourself into. If you have watched a few then you are like me and don't really mind.
IMBD link to My Secret Valentine.


No comments:
Post a Comment