Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Red: Werewolf Hunter (Syfy 2010)




Red: Werewolf Hunter is from the SyFy Channel and stars Felicia Day, Kavan Smith and Stephen McHattie.

Virginia (Felicia Day) or Red as her family call her is an FBI agent who brings her fiance (Kavan Smith) home to introduce him to the family. However, she hasn't told him some important truths about herself and her family - that she is a descendant of Little Red Riding Hood and that her family are all werewolf hunters. When they arrive they find that the long standing peace between the hunters and the werewolves is being threatened by a new and powerful werewolf leader - Gabriel (Stephen McHattie). Gabriel is something they have never seen before with the power to transform at will without the full moon.







I'm a fan of Felicia Day (who isn't right? She's all cute and quirky) but unfortunately she is probably the best thing about this movie. Kavan Smith and Stephen McHattie also do pretty good jobs, the latter more than the former but the rest of the cast is average at best. Unfortunately the character development was just not there so I feel like they did the best with what they had. As for humor, usually a staple of Syfy movies, this film took itself rather seriously but I liked that. I thought it worked in this case and I'm not a fan of the more camp type movies.


This had a fairly predictable story line and like most Syfy movies was not particularly well made. They just don't have the slickness and style of bigger budget movies. It just feels really cheap and the thing is that we all know good movies don't have to have big budgets; plenty of quality horrors have been made on a shoestring. One major issue I had was the wolves, they were CGI and not very scary at all. I've seen better in low budget movies so it's not like it can't be done. I also didn't like that they showed the wolf really early; it feels like that could have been a slow reveal to build some tension.

The connection to the fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood was confusing and didn't really feel like it added much to the plot. It seemed like just an excuse to call her Red but she had red hair anyway. I did like the idea so I wish it had been woven into the story more. There were a lot of issues with the story but there were also some things that were interesting. It was one of those movies that you can see the potential but somehow they just failed miserably in the execution.




So overall not a particularly good movie. Was it the worst movie ever? Certainly not - there was a story line and some aspects which made it watchable. I could see some glimmers of hope in there but unfortunately just not really enough to save it. I would probably give it 3 out of 10 but I am inclined to give it an extra point for Felicia Day. I think that if you go into it with realistic expectations then you will be able to see some of the good things about the movie that made it watchable despite its flaws.


Final Score 4/10, watch if you like Felicia Day or have a thing for bad horror movies.


IMDB link to Red: Werewolf Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment